U.S. Embassy Requests Contact Information via Survey Link
Event: On March 26, the Somalia Ministry of Health announced its second confirmed case of COVID-19 in Somalia.
The Department of State has issued a Global Level 4 Health Advisory for COVID-19. Commercial flights are restricted in Somalia. We recognize this has been a challenging period for many of our fellow Americans, particularly those of you seeking to depart Somalia.
The Department of State is currently not organizing an evacuation of American citizens from Somalia. However, in the event that opportunity becomes available, we are asking you to let us know now if you are interested in being contacted. Please send submit a brief survey with your information here.
We will contact you if a repatriation flight is being arranged and provide you with logistical information, including its cost per seat. It is important to note that these seats are traditionally offered at-charge on a first-come, first-serve basis to U.S. citizens and, space permitting, for qualifying non-citizen dependents. Private American citizens seeking to depart are required to sign a promissory note and will be billed at a later date for the cost of the flight.
U. S. Embassy Nairobi strongly recommends that U.S. Citizens and nationals enroll in STEP, the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program, at step.state.gov. STEP Enrollees receive important information from the Embassy about health conditions, safety alerts, and travel updates. Enrollment enables the Embassy to contact you in the event of an emergency. If you have previously enrolled in STEP, we recommend that you log into your STEP account to ensure your details are current, your country of travel information is correct, and that you set your departure date as ‘indefinite.’ These steps will enable you to receive all our embassy messaging. For any immediate need, U.S. citizens in an emergency can call 1-888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada or (plus) 1-202-501-4444 from overseas.
Actions to Take:
· Check with your airlines or travel operator regarding any updated information about your travel plans and/or restrictions.
· Consult the CDC website for the most up-to-date information.
· For the most recent information on what you can do to reduce your risk of contracting COVID-19, please see the CDC’s latest recommendations.
· Visit the COVID-19 crisis page on travel.state.gov for the latest information.
· Visit our Embassy webpage on COVID-19 for information on conditions in Somalia.
· Visit the Department of Homeland Security’s website on the latest travel restrictions to the United States.
· U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
United Nations Avenue, Gigiri
+254 (0) 20 363 6451
+254 (0) 20 363 6170 (after hours)
· State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 from the United States and Canada
202-501-4444 from overseas (Somalia)
· Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive alerts