Official personnel of the U.S. Mission to Somalia resumed travel to Mogadishu as of Wednesday, November 15, 2017.
In accordance with the Travel Warning for Somalia, the Department of State continues to warn U.S. citizens against travel to Somalia. The security situation in Somalia is extremely unstable, and the threat to all U.S. citizens in Somalia remains critical. The Department of State urges all U.S. citizens who decide to remain in Somalia to review your personal security plans, take appropriate steps to enhance your personal safety, remain aware of your surroundings, monitor local media for updates, and maintain a high level of vigilance.
For further information:
- See the State Department’s travel website for the Worldwide Caution, Travel Warnings and Alerts, and Country Specific Information for Somalia.
- Enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program(STEP) to receive security messages and make it easier to locate you in an emergency.
- Contact theS. Embassy in Nairobi located on United Nations Avenue, Gigiri, Nairobi, at telephone (+254) (20) 363-6451, 7:15 a.m. to 4:30 p.m. Monday through Thursday and 7:15 a.m. to 12:15 p.m. on Friday. After-hours emergency number for U.S. citizens is (+254) (20) 363-6000.
- Call 1-888-407-4747 toll-free in the United States and Canada or 1-202-501-4444 from other countries from 8:00 a.m. to 8:00 p.m. Eastern Standard Time, Monday through Friday (except U.S. federal holidays).
- Follow us on Twitter and Facebook.