Indirect Fire Attack on Mogadishu Interntional Airport (MIA)
Event: The UN reports that several mortar rounds struck the UN compound within the Mogadishu International Airport on January 1, 2019. Two UN mission members are reported to have received non-life threatening injuries. The situation remains fluid and assessment of the event continues. The airport remains open and is operating normally.
Actions to take:
- reconsider travel to and around Mogadishu International Airport (MIA)
- monitor social media and local media for updates
- U.S. Embassy Nairobi, Kenya
+(254) (0)20-363-6451 during business hours
+(254) (0)20-363-6170 after business hours
- State Department – Consular Affairs
888-407-4747 or 202-501-4444
- Somalia Country Information: https://travel.state.gov/content/travel/en/international-travel/International-Travel-Country-Information-Pages/Somalia.html
- Enroll in Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) to receive security updates
- Follow us on Facebook and Twitter. Our twitter feed is at https://twitter.com/US2Somalia, and our Facebook page isat https://www.facebook.com/US2Somalia/.